- Assignment 3. 10% bonus marks: Provide a second MPI implementation of the game of life where each evolutionary step is implemented as an MPI-all-to-all instead of individual MPI-send/receive.
- FINAL EXAM: APR-23-2021, 09:00-11:00. We will use e-Proctoring for the final exam. IMPORTANT information has been added below.
- Synchronous delivery. Classes are Tuesdays 2:30-4:00 and Thursdays 2:30-4:00 via Zoom (click HERE). Assignments will be submitted by e-mail. There will be a Final exam.
Introduction to parallel architectures, programming languages and algorithms for processor clusters (clouds) and multi-core processors. Distributed memory architectures, cluster/cloud computing, message passing parallel programming, multi-core processors, shared memory parallel programming, use of thread libraries, parallel performance analysis. Prerequisites: COMP 2402, COMP 2404, COMP 3000.
- Lecture Recordings
- Reading Material
- Textbook [OPTIONAL, do NOT buy prior to discussion in class]: “Elements of Parallel Computing” by Eric Aubanel – CRC Press, 2016
- CLR “Algorithms” book chapter on Cilk.
- Ali Sadeghi (AliSadeghijahromi@cmail.carleton.ca)
- Frank Dehne’s Office Hours: Wednesdays, by appointment, please send me an email (use this zoom link)
- Ali Sadeghi’s Office Hours: Mondays, 1:00-2:00 via Zoom (click HERE)
- Final exam: 40%. We will use e-Proctoring through the CoMaS system developed in the Carleton School of Computer Science. Please review the e-Proctoring FAQ page https://carleton.ca/ses/e-proctoring-faq/. One week before the exam, you will be receiving an email invitation to install and test this software. It is CRITICAL that you install and test it at least five days before the exam so there is time to get help if you have technical issues.
- 3 assignments: 20% each (Late penalties. Up to 24 hrs: 10%. 24-48 hrs: 20%. 48-72 hrs: 50%. More than 72 hrs: 100%.)
This is a fourth year course. Everyone knows the rules. There will be zero tolerance for plagiarism or other academic misconduct. The Faculty of Science academic integrity rules will be strictly enforced. According to the Faculty of Science academic integrity rules, penalties for violations of Carleton’s Policy on Academic Integrity will normally be applied as follows:
- First offence: A grade of F in the course.
- Second offence: A grade of F in the course and a one-term suspension from studies.
- Third offence: Expulsion from the University.